Please click each continent for a listing of the populations currently in our database
We regularly update our Global Population Database. Please check this page for update news.
A Detailed Analysis of World Genetic Regions
Your DNA Tribes® report also includes a unique high resolution World Region Match analysis that measures your genetic connections to
major world regions. Each region represents a group of related populations identified by DNA Tribes® original analysis of world genetic
European and Near Eastern Regions:
- Aegean: The Aegean Islands, Sardinia, Italian Peninsula,
and Lower Danube River.
- Arabian: The Arabian Peninsula.
- Iberian: The Iberian Peninsula, Pyrenees Mountains, and
- Levantine: Egypt and Eastern Mediterranean.
- Mesopotamian: Anatolia, the Caucasus Mountains, and
nearby parts of Western Asia.
- North African: Berber and Arabic speaking populations of
the Atlas Mountains and Sahara.
- Northwest European: The British Isles, Scandinavia, and
continental Western Europe.
- Slavic-Baltic: Slavic, Baltic, and Uralic speaking populations
of Central and Eastern Europe.
Native American Regions:
- Amazonian: Amazonian: Native cultures of the Amazon River
- Andean: Peoples of the Western South America, including
the territories of the historical Inca Empire.
- Arctic: Native Alaskan (Inuit and Yupik) and Greenlandic populations.
- North Amerindian: Salishan, Athabaskan, Siouan, and
Algonquian speaking cultures of North America.
- Desert Southwest: Seri, Athabaskan, and Uto-Aztecan
speaking cultures of Oasisamerica, including the
Southwestern United States and Western Mexico.
- Gran Chaco: Peoples of the Gran Chaco (“Great Hunting
Land”) of South America.
- Mesoamerican: Bribri, Mayan, Mixe-Zoque, Oto-Manguean,
Purepecha, Totonacan, and Uto-Aztecan speaking
populations of Mexico and Central America.
- Modern Populations of Mixed Native American Ancestry:
The mixture of Native American ancestry with other ancestry
(such as European or African) is expressed in match scores
for Metis-Mestizo genetic grouping (not shown). This mixture
is most typical of modern Latin America Mestizo (“mixed”)
cultures that have emerged since the period of European
Colonialism, but can also be found in English and French
speaking (Metis) populations of North America.
Sub-Saharan African Regions:
- African Great Lakes: The Great Lakes region surrounding the
Great Rift Valley in eastern Africa.
- Horn of Africa: The eastern African lands along the Red Sea
and Gulf of Aden that face the Arabian Peninsula.
- Sahelian: Populations near Lake Chad and the semi-arid Sahel,
home to Sahelian societies that emerged along Trans-Saharan
trade routes linking West Africa with the Mediterranean and Near
- Southern African: Khoisan and Bantu speaking populations of
- Tropical West African: A large region including parts of West
Africa facing the Gulf of Guinea and Atlantic Ocean, as well as
the Bantu speaking cultures of Southeastern Africa.
Central and South Asian Regions:
- Eastern India: The eastern Indian Subcontinent.
- Indus Valley: The Northern Indian Subcontinent and Southern
Central Asia, including homelands of the Bronze Age Indus
Valley (Harappan) and Oxus (Bactria-Margiana) Civilizations.
- Siberian: Indigenous cultures of Siberia, including Turkic,
Mongolic, and Tungusic speaking populations living between
the Altai Mountains and Lena River.
- South India: The southern Indian Subcontinent, including the
Dravidian speaking peoples of Tamil Nadu and many other
East Asian Regions:
- Japanese: The Japanese Archipelago.
- Malay Archipelago: Island Southeast Asia, Thailand, and
- Southeast Asian: Peoples of Southeast Asia, including peoples
of Thailand, Vietnam, and neighboring countries, as well as
ethnic groups of southern China.
- Tibetan: The region including the Himalayan Mountains and the
Tibetan Plateau and extends to the western provinces of
- Yellow River: Han speaking populations of present day China,
as well as Koreans and other ethnic groups living near the
Yellow and Yangtze Rivers of classical East Asian civilization.
- Australian: Aboriginal peoples of Australia and Papua New
- Polynesian: Literally meaning “many islands,” this region
includes linguistically related populations living in a vast area of
the Pacific Ocean encompassing Samoa and New Zealand in
the west to Hawaii in the east.
More about Europe:
For information on DNA Tribes® Europa
the most detailed and complete comparison to European genetic